Conquering el rio

Monday, January 3, 2011

Day 5: Gringos and Geckos

Still being oriented about Loma de Luz, today we were given a tour of the campus and hospital. Afterward, we walked across the road to the Caribbean Ocean. Later in the afternoon, one of the missionary kids introduced us to a bunch of the local guys. The Hondurans referred to us as 'gringos,' which is slang for 'white people,' and immediately challenged us to play against them in soccer. We held our own and only lost by one point. The game was very fun and we think Honduran soccer in the afternoons will become one of our routines.
A Special Note from Janie:  So last night I was in the shower and I looked up to see a gecko crawling on the wall right above me! I freaked out and rushed through washing my hair. When I was ready to wash my face, I did so very cautiously, squinting my eyes open every 3 seconds, ignoring the sting of the soap, to make sure the little creep wouldn't jump on me. I couldn't stop thinking about Parent Trap, when the step mom gets one stuck in her mouth.
Spill Count: 3 cups at lunch. dont worry, we were outside

1 comment:

  1. Janie's story totally made my day. I can't stop laughing!

    ReplyDelete